Monday, March 20, 2006

Funny thing how I trust blogland...

Trying to catch up with blogs I usually visit, I started to think it's really funny how is it that all this blog thing makes me (and a lot of other bloggers) be so open-hearted. I know part of the blog world is about expressing our thoughts and everything, but it really amazes me that I can talk here about things I haven't tell ANYONE.

There's the TTC thing (I learned today that's "trying to conceive" haha). E and I are being very discrete about this all thing, answering with evasives and trying to change the subject whenever the "and when are YOU going to have babies?" question is asked (which happens a lot, by the way). More E than me, we don't want to have the extra pressure of saying "yeah, we're trying" and then after some months people start "well, weren't you trying?" or talking behind our backs "yee, they must have some sort of fertility problem, poor them"...

We can barely handle our own pressure as to add up all that other pressure, but then it's also a little unconfortable to be always making up something, or saying anything stupid to move on to another subject. So that's where this blog comes in, to allow me to tell the absolute truth, knowing that all of you out there are in some sort of way in the same status as me. And believe me it helps me A LOT. So thank you!

The other "secret" subject I can only refer to in this blog is E's job. I haven't talked about it but will now. Thing is, E is a sociologist. Cool profession, but in Chile it's not easy to find a job outside the government (where jobs are really lousy for sociologists). Luckily, E has always found pretty good jobs, and he's currently working as a researcher in a University and also works almost as a partner in a consulting company that his co-workers at the university have. He has been very happy because besides his fixed income, he earns a % of the projects he participates in. And there has been a LOT of projects.

The problem is that a few weeks ago, the university (a private one, owned by a bunch of morons that have no clue about doing business) decided that as less students entered this year to that university, they don't have enough budget to finance the media research center my husband works in. Have you ever heard a research center that has to generate money by itself? I mean, research centers are that: RESEARCH, they're not providing products or services that people pay for. Even more, actually this center generated a lot of money, because some big media companies asked for some market studies and payed a lot for them. But for the university, it wasn't enough. So they'd rather be THE only university without research centers, than having to pay my husband and his co-workers (only 2 of them) for making the studies. Unbelievable don't you think?

Well, as you might guess, E is really upset about this. Not only because the lower income (all of his fixed income came from the university), but also because it was a good job, and he was really happy about it. So for now, until May 10th (my birthday, how ironic!) he continues with his both jobs. Then, only with what this consulting company may generate. They offered (before this whole university thing) him to be a partner, but it's a really small company, not consolidated yet, so being a partner isn't at all THE solution. Of course it's better than nothing, but it's a little like a lottery. If the company starts to grow, ok, but maybe after the current projects, there will be no more. And that's where my husband is right now: should he look for another job, that he likes less but can give him some sure money at the end of the month? or should he become a partner? or should he continue working as "free-lance" there, until the company grows enough to give him a fixed income? or until he finds another job that he likes AND gives him more money?

So, here we are, worrying about TTC, but also about our financial stability for the future. The thing is, we have some debts, so despite we get to live pretty well, we don't have any margin left, we use pretty much all of our incomes. This is temporary, while we finish paying a couple of credits (I don't know how you call it when you borrow some money from the bank, and then pay a fixed amount for a determined period of time), but that is next year!

Sorry, this was not very entertaining, but as I said before, this is the only place where I can talk about this. Anyway, we are still on the TTC (loved that!!) journey, but I know E is really worried thinking if we're going to be able to live as we have til now. Well, he's REALLY smart, so I know he won't have any trouble finding a job if things doesn't go great in the consulting company, but anyhow, it has given us a few good headaches!

Sometimes I think we should move to another country, where they could really appreciate how smart E is and where there are better jobs for what he does. But then I start thinking about my family, my friends, and I don't know if I could be far from my loved ones. Pretty selfish thinking, but of course it's not that simple. E doesn't speak english that well (thinking of english speaking countries) and he doesn't have any post-graduate degree, so I don't think it could be easy to just move to another country. Anyway, I still believe that God knows why things happen the way they happen, so there am I, hanging to my Faith and hoping this year ends with good news in the TTC AND job issues!!

See ya'!! (and thanks again for reading me!!)

5 Comments:

At 9:13 PM, Blogger Student said...

I'm sorry to hear about your husband's job. Job problems are never easy and especially when you don't need the extra stress.

We've sometimes talked about moving somewhere in Europe. But I'm like you - I don't think I could really leave my family. But, as the saying in English goes, "the grass is always greener on the other side"!

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Josefina said...

Here the saying goes almost the same, it's more like "the grass of our neighbor is always greener", but it's the same thing finally.

Well, I hope everything turns alright at the end, I don't think we will be starving or something like that, but I was kind of hoping for some stress-free financial situation this year.

Thanks for reading!

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Greg said...

That grass is always greener on the other side... exept sometimes it's not grass... it's only asphalt painted green.

Back from Vacation. ;)

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger lorem ipsum said...

I don't know how I missed this post the first time...

I, too, was laid off (made redundant) from a university. Same reasons, or non-reasons. I was pregnant at the time and lost it (my second) that weekend, and now I had poor insurance. Today my husband is considering going freelance, and although it will be hard at least at first I am confident that he has what it takes.

But during all of this, all of this financial insecurity, we have not stopped trying. I had my HSG and uterine surgery last fall and we are still pursuing this dream of a baby. We don't want to look back and think, 'Oh, we decided to save money and put off having a baby, and now it's too late.' Because no one truly has enough money to have a baby. You do it and yes, you go on faith, and make the best of where you are.

ps I think it's very funny how the 'grass is greener on the other side of the fence' expression seems to translate seamlessly across hemispheres!

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Josefina said...

Lorem: I can't believe you were laid off, being pregnant!!
Here, pregnant women are protected by law, and they can't be laid off from their jobs all the time when they are pregnant, and as long as 1 year AFTER they return from their post-pregnancy permission, that's also mandatory.
Pregnant women have the right to have something like 42 days of permission BEFORE having the baby, and 81 days AFTER having the baby. Every working woman have that right, even if they work free-lance. Oh and during all that time, they get paid their complete salary (there are a few regulations, but on most of the cases it goes like that). The government pays for it during pre and post pregnancy permision.
I thought you had more protecting laws in that matter??
Anyway, it's amazing how similar your case is as ours!!
But I totally agree with you, one shouldn't stop trying, even with all the fears, because as you say, no one has ever enough money for a baby. So there we are! Trying A LOT! haha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home