Wednesday, March 08, 2006

SIL

The other post was getting too long, so I decided to give an entire chapter to SIL! haha

Well, SIL is a really GOOD person, always worried about my brother, about my mother, etc. But that's the first view. Because when you get to know her a little better, you can see she's very elaborated (still a good person, with good feelings and all).

The thing is, we think her family doesn't treat her all that well (not that they hit her or something, but they don't pay much attention to her), so in my family she found all she didn't have in her life.

So she has always tried to be PART of my family (she dated my brother for 8 years, so we know her pretty well), even trying to steal MY place, which makes me "boil"!!

Example: my little sister tells me: hey look at my new socks, and as she starts to show them to me, we can hear SIL:"Ann Ann!! show them to me!!!". I mean, COME ON!!! she's MY sister!!! And she does that ALL the time!!! or with my mother...or when I talk to SIL on the phone she's like: "didn't you know that your mother....blabla" "no I didn't" (I say), so then she feels she's closer than my family than ME!! It's really annoying. That's why I've lectioned (does that word exist?) my mother to tell me EVERYTHING that goes on there, as to not be surprised by SIL.

You will think I'm only jealous, but no, everyone notice that. At first my husband thought I was being paranoid and he and my mother told me not to pay attention to SIL. But then they both started to notice things. And the competition is always with me!!

According to my mother, I should be sorry for her, having gotten married to my brother, who has all his problems, who doesn't (and probably won't ever be able to) work, so she has to mantain a "lying" life, hiding part of the truth to her family, to her friends, etc. On the other side, my life is much more normal, normal husband, normal way of living, we have lots of friends, etc. So my mother thinks SIL tries very hard to be "normal", and she tries to make that evident around me.

But as much as I try not to be intimidated by her, it's almost impossible. She's always like "you do that?????? no, I don't" but in a tone saying "how can you do that!!!!", making me feel crazy.
Example: there's a maid/nanny (told you is usual here) that goes to my house 1 day a week. I gave SIL her name so she could have her also. But "perfect" SIL hires her for 2 days! and if I ask nanny to prepare meat and rice, SIL asks her to prepare sofisticated meals for the whole week! It's like SIL always know better than me. The best way to keep the house, the best photographer for her wedding (better than mine at least), the better meals to prepare (nanny prepares, because SIL is totally anti-kitchen, unlike me, that loves to cook, specially sweet things, but SIL finds STRANGE that husband or me get to cook, because of course nanny prepares a thousand meals!)

Sounds stupid to you?? it is! but she always highlights those differences!!! it's almost unbearable. So when we go to our parents', I end up totally in a bad mood when SIL is there.

And now that she's pregnant???? ufffff...you should see her. In Pucón (lake house), she had something like 2.5 months, but she was ALWAYS with her hand in her belly!!! why? not a clue, just for us to never forget her condition I think!!!

I'm sorry, you're probably going to think I'm the worst person ever, poor SIL, and all that, but really please believe me that it's really difficult not to talk about SIL without making myself angry.

The ironic part of it that when we were studying, we were really good friends. In fact, I invited her to Pucon and all. But when she started dating my brother, she forgot why was she there in the first place (I mean, in my family), and instead of keeping our friendship, she preferred to conquer my family, trying to compete with me.

OK. I think you got a pretty good idea of SIL, but I suspect it won't be the last you hear about her!! haha....

5 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Blogger Greg said...

It's funny how in every family... no matter what culture you come from... there is always the SIL or the BIL. I have a BIL that drives me nuts. lol.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Josefina said...

haha...
Hey, what does LOL mean? I've seen it in a LOT of blogs, and have no clue, I've tried some ideas: lots of love could be? but sometimes it doesn't seem right on the context!!
Pls advise!!! I'm really curious about that.
I've come to get the MIL, SIL, FIL, the OB, dpo, etc, but not that one!!

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Greg said...

laugh out loud.

What's OB and the dpo?

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Josefina said...

oh ahahaha good one, I'll start to use it then!!!!
OB I think it's the obstetrician, dpo: days past ovulation
Learned it on some blogs I've visited (a little obsessed with the pregnancy thing)!

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger cat said...

Oy the sister in law (SIL). I feel your pain! :)

Hang in there it sounds like the months to come with her pregnancy will be difficult. *hug*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home