Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Hypocondriac stories...

Yesterday, while I was trying to get asleep, I thought I was going to share with you some awfully embarrasing experiences I've had gone through for being an hypocondriac:

Introduction: my hypocondry started when I was around 15, all because a classmate was talking about this "fabulous book" she had read...curiously, that book was in my house, so I read it: it was about a woman who had died at 24 due to a head tumor. Of course, at that age, girls are really insecure about everything, and I was really traumatized because of that book: started thinking any headache I had was a tumor and things like that. This was exacerbated (does that word actually exists?) by another story around that time, of a girl, one year younger, that had recently died from leuchemia...(it was a girl some of my classmates knew). There was a book about her too, and once I couldn't resist the (masoquist, I know) urge to take a look at it, but stopped myself because I was REALLY suffering.
Anyway, from that time I've always suffered A LOT inventing myself terrible diseases and illnesses...it's really exhausting. At least I've grown enough to realize when I'm being extremely stupid! LOL...
Well, another thing is that my father's sister died at 20 (I think I already told you this, but just for the record) from a head stroke (aneurism), so that "young dieing" has haunted me forever...

Okay, now that you know how this all begun (I really don't feel a bit proud of being like this, but I can laugh about myself, and why not give you the chance of knowing the ridiculous me), some stories:

1) Once (around that age too) I started feeling, or better said, not feeling my legs...it was a STRANGE feeling...(I remembered this because my brother reminded it to me some months ago), I think I was only tired or nervous...it's not that I didn't feel them, they were ...like have you ever felt you need to press something with your hand, because it seems weak? Well, it doesn't matter, it wasn't anything OF COURSE! but I was so so scared, I was crying and all...my brothers still laugh at me for that....

2) This happened like in december (past december!). Just before my brother's wedding in november, I caught a cold that left me voiceless, and considering that I had to read at mass, I had to go to the doctor and all. There's nothing with that, though. But after the wedding, I think a couple of weeks later, I started having "trouble to breath", I mean, I needed to take a deep breath like every 5 minutes and my back hurt all the time. So, my self-diagnostic: PNEUMONIA...LOL!! So I went to the doctor (E included), and the doctor made me several exams...and he said: I think you're really tense, I recommend you go to a shrink, maybe he can give you some "relaxing medicine"...Imagine how I felt at that moment...he told me there was NOTHING wrong with me, in fact I breathed above average...and blablabla...so when we went out, I started crying like shet! (I think many people thought I really had something serious). Because I felt SO ridiculous, having gone to the doctor, it was like a "you're definitively crazy" alert....now I find it funny, but in that moment I felt so embarrased!!!!! LOL...stupid me (in fact, nowadays that backache has come back, but now I know better! LOL).

3) Once I went to a dermatologist to check my face (I suffered from acne when I was a teenager, and I still get pimples all the time), but as I was there, I showed her a strange "mole" that has appeared in my hand...it was this thing, flesh coloured...but I was a little worried LOL...sooooo, she told me : it's NOTHING (she was very comprehensive, though)...and guess what, it dissapeared a couple days later LOL!!!

4) My new worry is moles (as I posted some time ago)...of course I went to check myself, totally sure one mole had grown...and no, nothing wrong....

5) I was once really really worried because my head kept aching...I though I had sinusitis, but as I kept being worried, my mom took me to the doctor, who (for my own sake) told me to do a scanner...that word REALLY scared me...in fact, we payed extra to have the results earlier...and yes, there it was, a retiring sinusitis...LOL....

6) The day before starting my first real job after university, I started feeling one side of my face like "sleepy" (you know when you sleep over your arm, that it feels funny, like with little ants, or something)...so I was SO sure I was about to have a head stroke...they only way I got to sleep was praying really really hard....it happened again before another big event (I think another job), so then I understood it was just a nervous reaction LOL!!!!

I'm starting to sound really pathetic, but believe me, most of the time I don't go to the doctor because the rational me know, very in the bottom of my thoughts, that I have nothing, but I have had some serious trouble going to sleep many nights, thinking I have something. And the funniest thing of all, is that I always imagine the WORST diseases:
Headache= tumor or aneurism
Backache= neumonia or lung cancer
Stomachache= at least I know I have irritable intestin sindrome, so I don't worry much about that LOL
Laringitis= throat cancer (not really LOL, but the thought has crossed my mind)
Heartache (more like a "gas")= heart stroke
Sleepiness= any of the above...
and so on....it's really pathetic, I insist, but I really can't help it. I think, as E always says to me, is that I can't stop worrying about something, so when I don't have any particular problem, I focus on diseases...crazy ha???

4 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Blogger Greg said...

This reminds me of a joke...

This guy walks into the doctor's office and he says:

"I'm a Tee Pee, I'm a Wig Wam, I'm a Tee Pee, I'm a Wig Wam."

The doctor says:

"I think I know what your problem is... You are just two tents." (Too Tense.)

Too funny. Anyway, I have been there... I don't worry about this stuff anymore... and I stay away from those WebMD sites... self diagnosis is not a good thing... based on WebMD I have probably 40 uncurable diseases because my left eye twitches when I am too tired. ;)

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger lorem ipsum said...

If it means anything, I dread going to the OB/GYN in two weeks because I feel that with my luck, they're going to find cancer.

At least once I've told my husband where to find things because I've gone to bed thinking I'd die of a headache that was more than a headache.

My mother is the opposite. On two occasions she refused to take me to the hospital even though I really needed to! When I was 17 I hurt my neck and to this day I really think it was fractured - but she didn't want to take me to the hospital because she thought she'd be arrested, even though I had been skiing and she wasn't even there!

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Paige said...

we have all been there! am glad you are healthy though!

 
At 12:37 AM, Blogger Tamara said...

OH MY WORD. Right now I have breast cancer, heart disease and something is seriously wrong with my bowels b/c of a change in bowel habits. My mom was sick for a very long time before she died. I'm terrified of being sick. It's an awful thing to deal with. One day I hope to laugh about it all, but right now I'm too worried that I'm really sick!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home